As commercial developers we are well aware that the construction and property industry contribute a large percentage of the UK’s total carbon emissions. We have acknowledged and acted upon our responsibility to reduce these levels, both in our day to day business activities and on developments which will be around for many years to come.
Dransfield Properties has drawn up a Green Charter, endorsed by climate change campaigner and former US Vice president Al Gore. We are asking all our clients, contractors, and suppliers to sign up to this charter.
In our day to day operations we are continually working to;
- Reduce energy use
- Reduce transport
- Reduce waste and recycle
On our development projects we;
- Install renewable energy sources, such as older technologies, wind turbines and underground heating systems
- Incorporate waste management systems on site to reduce transfer to landfill
- Employ local contractors to reduce car journeys
- Reward tenants who undertake a proactive approach to environmental sustainability
Our commitment to the green charter is also highlighted at Sanderson Arcade, Morpeth;
- A waste transfer station was located on site where all cardboards and papers are compacted and sent away for recycling
- All urinal bowls within the centre are fitted with red eye systems to reduce waste usage
- All central corridor areas are fitted with sensors, to reduce down energy consumption
- All centre lighting is switched off outside trading hours